Community Impact and Financial Literacy – 2019 Wrap UpDecember 20, 2019
What a year it’s been for Community Impact and Financial Literacy! With the direction and leadership of the Community Impact Committee, along with the collaboration of many credit unions, system and external partners, in 2019 we:
- Launched a project partnership with Families Canada and Vancity to improve women’s economic security.
- Delivered close to 600 Each One, Teach One workshops, reaching over 8,400 Canadians from Coast to Coast.
- Actively participated in Financial Literacy Month, speaking at and hosting gatherings. A recap of activities can be found here.
- Developed a Community Impact programming stream for this year’s National Conference, covering timely topics such as members’ financial health, Indigenous Reconciliation, and maximizing the impact of your community contributions.
- Continued to represent the credit union system on various multi-stakeholder working groups, such as Prosper Canada’s ABLE Network.
- Profiled the journey to reconciliation of three credit unions in a piece titled “Overcoming Colonization”.
- Collaborated with the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) on matters pertaining to consumer financial education.
- Participated in the Federal Government’s Social Finance Fund design engagement, as part of the Social Innovation and Social Finance Strategy.
- Partnered with the Federal Government and SmartSAVER to increase credit union participation in the Canada Learning Bond.
- Successfully partnered with CMHC to deliver two webinar series regarding the First-Time Home Buyer Incentive.
Please contact Indi Madar should you have any questions.
We look forward to continuing our progress together in 2020. Thank you very much for your support and wishing you all happy holidays!