2020 Community Impact Wrap UpDecember 16, 2020
With the leadership of the Community Impact Committee, the Climate Change Disclosure Working Group, and the Financial Literacy Working Group, along with the collaboration of many credit unions and external partners, in 2020 we:
- Launched the Climate Change Disclosure Working Group which is comprised of 20 credit unions and centrals from all provinces, regions and peer groups.
- Hosted a two-part climate change webinar series that was attended by over 200 participants. For those who were unable to attend, you can access the recordings here and here.
- Set up a “Climate Change Resources” page which includes resources such as webinar recordings, climate disclosure frameworks, and home flood protection information. The page is available here (member log-in required).
- Published a blog post on The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada website highlighting the importance of financial literacy and recognizing the ongoing contributions that Canada’s credit unions are making to help provide financial education in communities across the country. Read the full blog post here.
- Continued to represent the credit union system on various multi-stakeholder committees, such as Prosper Canada’s ABLE Network.
- Advanced the project partnership with Families Canada and Vancity to improve women’s economic security. Learn about barriers and opportunities for empowering women living on low incomes in Families Canada’s report here.
- Delivered over 187 Each One, Teach One financial literacy workshops, reaching nearly 3,163 Canadians from coast to coast.
- Hosted a new series, “COVID-19 and Community Impact Discussions”, for credit unions to share best practices on how to support organizations and vulnerable populations during the pandemic. The series was attended by over 80 participants and included topics such as community partnerships, products and services for vulnerable populations, and community impact in the context of an economic crisis.
For further information, please contact Indi Madar. We look forward to continuing our progress together in 2021. Thank you for your support and happy holidays!